Saturday, September 19, 2009

Jalapeno Poppers

I've had numerous people who have been interested in my past experiments with jalapeno poppers. Though I've never had the opportunity to eat a popper before, they had definitely made my mouth water with their spicy fried cheesy deliciousness.

So I got my experiments to work, the only downside of this experiment was cough and sneezing while removing the seeds. This of course led me to be very weary of poppers. I missed their hot deliciousness because I stared at them in horror of their spicyness. Alas, they were not spicy at all.

On to the recipe.


Cut the jalapenoes in half, leave the top part (see how they are jut 70% up to the top). Leave the stems on.

The most dangerous part - Deseed and remove the membranes. Wear gloves if you are scared. (A secret - if you get really spicy pepper juice on your hands and want to get it off, use DOVE - the soap bar worked wonders for me)


Above you will see the workstation - Cheese, flour and breadcrumbs (I added salt, white pepper and thyme to my breadcrumbs) and an empty bowl. That empty bowl will have the binding agent, the secret to eggless Jalapeno Poppers.


Before we make the secret to Poppers, we stuff string cheese into the jalapenos. Cut the cheese to the appropriate size and get ready for a mess.

To make the secret following the directions below -

1 Tbs Ener-G Egg Replacer Powder
3 Tbs Boiling Water
1/2 Cup Non-Dairy Milk

Combine the boiling water and egg replacer powder and whisk until thick and foamy. Add to a separate large bowl. Whisk in the non-dairy milk until thick and frothy. Set aside.

(This tip is from VeganYumYum, though she hasn't included instructions for poppers yet.)



Then all you do (before getting the oil warm) is dip the stuffed peppers in the egg replacer mixture, roll around in flour - let sit for 10 mins, then redip in the egg replacer mixture and roll around in bread crumbs. Let sit for a bit.

Warm up the oil, and FRY!


(I recommend making two batches of the mixture if you make more then 8 poppers, because the measurements above barely covered 8.)





Dangerous and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment