Monday, August 17, 2009

Dorm Enchiladas Challenge

So the point of this site isn't always to create something elaborate, but mostly something yummy. I know when I lived in the dorm, I would often crave my mom's enchiladas. I don't think I've ever found a more fulfilling enchilada recipe until I started playing with my own. Today I present the DORM Enchiladas.

The recipe below is a little much for a dorm, but parts could be done and stored, but the really nice thing about this recipe? You can make everything in the microwave (especially if you have a microwaveable rice cooker. (The microwaveable rice cooker is one of my trusty kitchen side kicks. All college kids who want easily accessible food should get one!)

So the hardest thing first - Yummy rice that goes well with mexican food.


Ingredients can be seen in the picture (except the water)
Rice
jalapenos chopped
tomatoes chopped
can of tomato juice (when cooking the rice for then 60% should be the juice, you are cooking the rice in the juice, not flavoring the rice with the juice)
Adobo sauce (this is a mexican tomato based paste, usually kept in oil. It is hard to find without onions and garlic, but it is worth the time, and it lasts a long time. It also doesn't go bad)
Bufalo brand Chipotle sauce - also a hard, but yummy find (I love adding this to the 'I'm Lazy quesodillas').
(NO SALT, everything else has plenty)

Mix and cook as you would most rices.

But I warn you this rice is awesome!



Next - the sauce (here I'll give you two, because after I made this, I made another batch that was AWESOME! All due to that amazing Adobo paste and chipotle sauce.

Sauce #1 (Make in a glass bottle - see the bottle!)
Ingredients -
Tomato paste
honey (to sweet the sauce)
salt
cayenne pepper
crushed red peppers (red pepper flakes)
water to thin the paste

Mix, make sure to break up the chunks of tomato paste, then microwave.

Sauce #2
honey
salt
adobo paste
chipotle sauce
cayenne pepper
water

mix, break up adobo paste chunks, microwave
Add tomato puree, mix, taste. (Don't eat it all!)



Beans -
canned beans - (Bearitos is cute brand right?)
other flavorings (I used green tabasco to use it up, and cholula sauce)
thin with water



warm corn tortillas in microwave (20 secs) until they are softened

wrap beans and cheese and put in plate
put sauce on enchiladas

I decorated mine with olives and tomatoes, but I've done bell peppers or hot peppers (anything you have really).

sprinkle cheese - microwave until cheese is melted.



Yummy! I generally love enchiladas, but what I love about Dorm Enchiladas is I make everything in the containers I'll keep the leftovers in (except the rice cooker). So clean up is easy. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. i JUST asked my mom about enchiladas (like 2 hrs ago) ... now she's making me some :)

    Will definitely give Your recipe (with my own personal preference variations) a shot sometime soon though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where do u find the adobo sauce?

    ReplyDelete